Soil Erosion Permits

Permit applications may be obtained by the following:

  • You may pick them up in person at the Baraga County Administration Building
  • By mail, send request to: Cindy Larson, 18132 2nd Sand Beach Road, L’Anse, MI 49946
  • You may also call 906-201-0646
  • Or, email


What activities require a permit?

A permit is required for any earth change that disturbs one or more acres, or is within 500 feet of a lake or stream.

Are there penalties for not complying with permit conditions or Part 91?

Yes, there are several:

1) A person may be subject to a civil fine of up to $25,000 for each day of violation

2) A cease and desist order or injunction may be issued until compliance is obtained

3) The permitting agency may install or maintain control measures to bring the site into compliance with part 91 and bill the landowner for the costs incurred

4) A person may be ordered to restore all areas affected by the violation

Who do I call if I have additional questions?

Questions should be directed to the Cindy Larson (906) 201-0646 or visit


County Government

2 S. Main Street
L’Anse, MI 49946


Convention & Visitors Bureau

755 E. Broad Street
L’Anse, MI 49946


Chamber of Commerce

1 N. Main St.
L’Anse, MI 49946


Economic Development

1 N. Main St.
L’Anse, MI 49946

Contact Us