Soil Erosion Permits
Permit applications may be obtained by the following:
- You may pick them up in person at the Baraga County Administration Building
- By mail, send request to: John Pekkala, 401 E. Houghton Avenue, Houghton, MI 49931
- You may also call 906-482-4491
- Or, email email@example.com
What activities require a permit?
A permit is required for any earth change that disturbs one or more acres, or is within 500 feet of a lake or stream.
Are there penalties for not complying with permit conditions or Part 91?
Yes, there are several:
1) A person may be subject to a civil fine of up to $25,000 for each day of violation
2) A cease and desist order or injunction may be issued until compliance is obtained
3) The permitting agency may install or maintain control measures to bring the site into compliance with part 91 and bill the landowner for the costs incurred
4) A person may be ordered to restore all areas affected by the violation
Who do I call if I have additional questions?
Questions should be directed to the John Pekkala (906) 482-4491 or visit Michigan.gov