Snow is no stranger here, there’s plenty of it to be enjoyed each winter! Skiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling opportunities abound, with some available right from your doorstep.
Cross Country Skiing
The Pinery Lakes X/C Ski Trails located off of Indian Cemetery Rd 5 miles north of L’Anse on Main St/Skanee Rd have 3.9 miles of groomed trails for the winter skier.
Try your luck or ply your skills ice fishing on Lake Superior’s Keweenaw or Huron Bay, or on the many inland lakes in Baraga County. Don’t miss the ice fishing tournament held each early January on Vermilac Lake located off of old US Hwy 28 in Covington.
Fishing License & Supplies
- Gambles Do-It Best: (906) 524-7737 – 15 S. Main St, L’Anse
- Holiday Gas Station & Store: (906) 521-5970 – US Hwy 41, L’Anse
- Indian Country Sports: (906) 524-6518 – 17 S Front St, L’Anse
- Wilkinson’s Store: (906) 353-6257 – 117 Superior Ave, Baraga
There are 146 miles of state-assisted and groomed trails and 150+ miles of ungroomed snow machine trails in Baraga County. Information concerning snow conditions in Baraga County can be found at our Snow and Trail Report.
Additional information on snowmobiling in Baraga County can be found by contacting the Baraga County Sno Drifters Snowmobiling Club…
P.O. Box 36
Baraga, MI 49908
Examples of local information you’ll receive:
- Trail #15 begins at the Sno Drifters’ club house located off the Menge Creek Road off of Hwy 41 between L’anse and Baraga (adjacent to Waterstone Suites). The trail heads to L’Anse where you catch Trail #14 heading east along US 41 and through to Arvon by way of the backcountry. Trail #14 will lead you first to Big Bay and then down to Marquette where you’ll catch Trail #8 west through Negaunee till it intersects with Trail #15 north past Prison Camp Rd in Baraga County, returning you to the SnoDrifters’ club house.
- From the Sno Drifters’ club house the snowmoblier can travel south into Wisconsin, west to Ontonogan and the Porcupine Mountains or north into Copper Country/Keweenaw Peninsula.
Enjoy Cathy’s Path and Soup’s Loop for hiking, biking, and snowshoeing. Parking is located on the Skanee Road, 2 miles northeast of downtown L’Anse and just 800 feet past the L’Anse Township Park entrance.
Bowling & Gambling
- Ojibwa Casino and Hotel in Baraga
- Whirl-I-Gig Bowling Lanes – Whirl-I-Gig Rd 3 miles north of L’Anse on Main St/Skanee Rd – (906) 524-7875
For more winter recreation ideas, visit http://www.uptravel.com/.