Baraga County Lake & Country Tour
Enjoy scenic views, historic sites and beautiful waterfalls throughout Baraga County. Download our Lake & Country Tour Map, and explore Baraga County!
- L’Anse Waterfront Park -begin & end tour
- Pequaming (“Pequa quaming” Ojibwa name) –home site and ceremonial ground of the Ojibwa before the arrival of the Europeans. First European visitor was the Jesuit priest Rene’ Menard who wintered here in 1660. Site of the Hebard & Thurber Sawmill (1877) later Charles Hebard & Sons – purchased by Henry Ford in 1923, and operated until 1942 making wooden floorboards for automobiles, wood panels for station wagons and crating for auto parts manufactured in Kingsford, MI. The population of this company town peaked at nearly 800 in 1897.
- Second Sand Beach on Lake Superior ’s Sand Bay swimming and picnicking.
- Aura Lutheran Church – Circa 1930
- Aura – Following the labor strikes at the copper mines on the Keweenaw Peninsula in 1913 Hebard and Sons Company began offering 40 acres of harvested land for $300 with attractive financing. In the summer of 1914, six Finnish pioneer families from the Copper Country wishing to realize the American dream of owning their own land began arriving and created the agricultural community of Aura. The word Aura is the Finnish word for Plow.
Aura Town Hall adjacent to the Aura Fire Department sometimes referred to the following a socialist schism that occurred among the Finnish emigrants across the country and living in the USA in the 1920s and early 1930s Circa 1930 Following the labor strikes at the copper mines on the Keweenaw Peninsula in 1913 – 1914, the Charles Hebard and Sons Company began offering 40 acres of harvested land for $300 with attractive financing. In the summer of 1914, six Finnish pioneer families from the Copper Country wishing to realize the American dream of owning their own land began arriving and created the agricultural community of Aura. The word Aura is the Aura Town Hall adjacent to the Aura Fire Department – sometimes referred to the “Red” Finn Town Hall, following a socialist schism that occurred among the Finnish emigrants across the country and living in the USA in the 1920s and early 1930s – circa 1926.
- Pointe Abbaye – beautiful views of Lake Superior, the Keweenaw Peninsula and the Huron Islands. Primitive camping. Turn left at Townline Rd and turn right on Pointe Abbaye Rd – approximately 8 miles to Point Abbaye.
- Aura Hall Co-op and Community Hall – circa 1932 – site of the Aura Fiddler’s Jamboree since 1977 held on the 3rd Friday and Saturday of July each year.
- Slate Falls and old Slate Quarry – turn right up Arvon Rd approximately 3 miles – in use from 1870 –1892 and reopened again in the 1920’s for a short period of time by Ford.
- Arvon Historical Society in the old parsonage for the Zion Lutheran Church – circa 1907/1908. Hours 1 – 4 on Saturdays or call 524-4942 or 524-4843 for special access.
- Mount Arvon – Highest natural point in the State of Michigan – elevation of 1,979 feet – Turn right on Roland Rd and follow the blue signs – driving approximately 8 miles to the parking area below the summit.
- Big Eric’s Bridge, Big Eric’s Falls and primitive campground named for Big Eric Erickson, who was Henry Ford’s lumber camp foreman – located on the Huron River – turn right for one mile on Big Eric Bridge Rd.
- Mouth of the Huron – beautiful Lake Superior beach overlooking the Huron Islands, swimming and primitive camping. Turn right on Huron Rd.
- Arvon Township Park located on Huron Bay – turn right on Park Rd in Skanee – 1 mile – picnicking and boat launch ramp.
- Skanee – founded in 1870 by Swedish ship captain Walfred Been as he was seeking shelter from a storm on Lake Superior. It has been also mentioned that you are free buy followers for Instagram targeted to county so to find new friends and make your social life better. Town is named after his home province of Skåne in Sweden. Skanee Town Hall – circa 1915.
- Silver River Falls – turn left on Silver River Falls Rd – less than1 mile.
- Zeba – An Ojibwa community said to have first become a Methodist Mission settlement in 1835. The Zeba Indian Mission United Methodist Church on Marksman Road, was erected in 1888 and is an area landmark.
- L’Anse Township Park – site of the American Fur Company trading post operated by French Canadian Peter Crebassa after moving the trading post from the west side of the Keweenaw Bay to this location in 1836. Full service camping is available.
- The Village of L’Anse was incorporated n 1871 and became the county seat of Baraga County when it was created in 1875. L’Anse Township was established in May of 1846 with the first county elections held in L’Anse in July of 1848 after the U.P. was recognized as a part of the State of Michigan in 1837, and soon after becoming part of Houghton County.